About the Tomb of the Unborn in Catskill, New York
Gravesite at Jefferson Rural Cemetery in Catskill, NY
Little is known about the gravesite for aborted babies at Jefferson Rural Cemetery in Catskill, New York.
A tombstone there reads, "Tomb of the Unborn: Pray for the Donors" and a plaque beneath reads, "You Are Loved."
But though little is known about the burial of these children, their memory will be celebrated on the National Day of Remembrance because their value is infinite in the eyes of God no matter how much we know about them.
If you have any information about the burial site in Catskill, please e-mail the National Day of Remembrance team so we can update this entry.
The gravesite can be difficult to find. Here are some directions:
- From the South
- Thruway to Exit 21, Take Route 23B thru Jefferson Heights Road. Turn Left on North Jefferson, and do not take the left where it says "Catskill Cemetery" then follow directions below "From N Jefferson Avenue," or, Route 9W North, Over creek and Under bridge in Catskill, then exit right for "Downtown Catskill" Route 23B. This is immediately Allen Street, then right on Main Street. Turn Right on North Jefferson, and then follow directions below "From N Jefferson Avenue."
- From the North
- See from the South (above) and use Thruway directions.
- From the East (Dutchess, Columbia, etc.)
- Take the Rip Van Winkle Bridge, pass tollbooth, pass straight thru traffic light, then make a LEFT exit from the highway onto 9W South/Catskill. After the big turn, make the right toward "Downtown Catskill" which is 23B/Main Street. Turn Right on North Jefferson, at 168 Main Street/Clark Respiratory and then follow directions below "From N Jefferson Avenue."
- From N Jefferson Avenue
- Sign will say “Dead End”. Pass the Garage of the Catskill Cemetery on the left. On the right, there is a sign that reads "Saint Patrick's Cemetery." Pass that, since this gravesite is on the other side. On the left, there are two cement/stone columns with crosses above. Make this left and pass through onto the rough asphalt. Drive slow to almost to end of road. There is a large Mausoleum of grey blocks on the left Labeled "DeBiase." The gravesite is just to the left of there.